Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What is the "Band"?

No, I'm not going on tour as a groupie for the next year. Ha ha It just occurred to me, that not everyone has heard of the Lap-Band, and some of you might be wondering, "What the hell is she doing to herself?" Therefore, I will do my best to explain it!

For starters, this is what it looks like:



The inner part of the "gastric band" contains a 360° "balloon" that inflates when injected w/ saline.
This band sits around the top, smaller, part of your stomach. Like so...


The port is accessed from your abdomen and is used to add more saline (make the bubble bigger, and your stomach opening smaller) or remove saline (smaller bubble, bigger stomach opening). These are called "adjustments." Since the Band reduces the opening of your stomach, the amount of food able to be consumed reduces greatly... however, since it will be sitting at the "top" of your stomach, it tricks your body into feeling like it's full. Isn't that nifty?

My surgeon will be Dr. Stefanie Vaimakis (Dr. V), assisted by Dr. Fred Silvestri. You can find out more about them, the staff, as well as the Lap-Band procedure & any FAQs, on their web site for North Jersey Laparoscopic Associates. Their whole practice is amazing, and everyone who walks through the door is made to feel like family. True, I am considered extended family off the bat because of John and Sharon, but I see how all patients are treated. Dr. V really puts her patients' needs above all else! I am terrified of surgery, having never had one, but I feel more assured knowing Dr. V is performing the surgery.

With all surgeries, certain pre-admission tests (PATs) are required. Dr. V is known for ordering up more testing than the average bariatric surgeon. That is just because she wants to ensure, as much as possible, that your body is in the best condition it can be to be able to handle the surgery. I went for my PATs last Friday. Now I just wait for the results (hopefully all will be well and my clearance will stand) and then the surgery!

Let me tell you something... a year ago, if you told me I would be having this surgery, I would've fought you tooth & nail, and said you were out of your mind. I was so against it. Then, as I learned more about it, I understood why people might have the surgery, but I still felt it wasn't for me. Now, I have accepted the reasons I was against it, learned as much as I could regarding everything about it, and here I am on the eve of my one week mark, and so excited! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment