Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hold the Presses!

Received some more news today that is not the best news, but also not the worst. My bloodwork showed an elevated White Blood Cell (WBC) count, which means my body is fighting an infection. Since I have been having tooth issues, I figured this was the cause. My dentist was kind enough to check me out and, sure enough, my "bad" wisdom tooth has decay and is infected. So, he prescribed me antibiotics to take for the next week.

How does this effect the surgery next week? Well, they're not so keen on operating on someone who already has an infection, because there is an increased risk for that infection to spread. And the last thing I want is to go through all the trouble of a surgery, just to have the Band become infected. Therefore, there will be no surgery next week. :( The surgeons want me to take the antibiotics and then check my WBC count again. If infection is gone, and numbers are normal, I will, hopefully, be having the surgery the following week.

So, kids, let's hope this penicillin does its job and my surgery will only be postponed by one week! Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. Does this mean liquid diet is postponed and you can cross brisket off your list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that stinks :( better to wait and be healthy though. Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, they said liquid diet best 2 weeks before. I did get the OK for my sushi dinner tomorrow and tacos Sunday. Maybe I can squeeze brisket in there somewhere, but it would have to be this weekend, and I'm not sure I can. :(

    I agree... better to be err on the side of caution! :)

    ReplyDelete