Sunday, April 10, 2011

Self-Esteem and Attraction

So, I've been thinking about the correlation of self-esteem and attraction a lot lately. Are we attracted to someone based solely on their appearance, or is it something more that pulls us toward them? Perhaps an amazing personality, or incredible sense of humor? They say looks are only skin deep, but how well do we practice this concept?

The reason this has been on my mind lately is because I have noticed a difference in how I am treated by strangers, in particular the male gender. I know I have lost some weight, but I am still the same person I always was, and still overweight. Yet, I've noticed that I'm being approached by more men and it seems all of a sudden more guys are interested. I was talking w/ a friend about this. Where were all these guys before, when I was actually looking for someone? I haven't changed that drastically physically. So what is it? And then she said the simplest thing... "It's because you feel more self-confident about yourself." Could that really be the answer? Does it all come down to your level of self-confidence?

When a guy notices a woman, sure he notices her physical appearance first, but there might actually be more to what attracts him to her. If a woman has low self-esteem, it will show in her little mannerisms... head down, hair in face, constant fidgeting and probably not very good w/ eye contact. Is this a turn-off for men, no matter how gorgeous she may be? Do men really want a woman who is, not cocky and self-absorbed, but rather comfortable in her own skin? A woman who embraces her flaws and realizes her own beauty and true worth?

Is there really a correlation between self-esteem and attraction from others? I don't know... just something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment