Tuesday, February 7, 2012

1st BANDiversary

Almost went the whole day without realizing this (thank you Angelae for mentioning it!), but today marks my one year anniversary with the Band! At this time, one year ago today, I was just coming out of anesthesia from surgery. I can't even believe the difference one year has made!

First the data... After one year, I have lost 64lbs. My BMI has gone down 11.6 points. I've lost at least 18-inches overall. Even my shoe size has gone down! Ha ha And of course my blood work numbers have decreased and I'm all within normal healthy ranges.

Today I am stronger, inside and out, healthier and feel like I have an infinite amount of energy. Mentally, I have grown stronger too. I still have the same mind, and it is constantly a work in progress. I have struggled emotionally, so many ups and downs, over the past year, learning to embrace a healthier/loving relationship with food. Being an empathetic person, who feels everything, it was easy to feed every emotion, without even thinking about what that meant and the repercussions that followed. And, while I am still working on this, re-training my brain, I have come a long way. I seek out healthier outlets for the floods of emotions I feel... whether it's reading, writing, having coffee with a friend, blogging or going for a drive. Now, most of the time I don't even think about food at those times, whereas before I would be shoving down half a bag of chips or eating a second meal before I even realized what I was feeling. Cravings are rare too. It's amazing. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE food and thoroughly enjoy it. I just don't over-indulge, and actually enjoy it much more these days.

For me, cooking is an art... a meditation. Something that indulges all my senses. There is nothing more comforting than the feel of a great blade chopping through an onion, or the sound of meat searing; the smell of onions sauteing in butter; the vibrant contrast of a ripe tomato chopped with a bunch of scallions, or the way the many flavor layers of a hearty stew meld together in your mouth. Missing out on all of these things was one of my biggest concerns about getting the Band... I didn't want to give that up. And, one year later, like I said, I am enjoying all those things on an even more heightened level. Now that I've got your mouths watering... Bon Apetit! :)

So now, I'm reaching out to you all for ideas on how to celebrate this momentous occasion! And, no, I'm not looking for a dinner out kind of celebration. Ha ha Just some little token to commemorate how far I've come, how much I've accomplished and the life-altering decision I made a little over a year ago to LIVE a healthier, longer life. :) Whaddya think?

But of course, I could not have made this journey alone. I am forever grateful for my unconditional loving family and amazing friends for all their support and love; As well as to all the other great, inspiring people, and new friends, I have met, along this journey, who are also traveling their own WLS journeys parallel to mine. A million times over... THANK YOU!

Before/Afters:

3 comments:

  1. very nice Val and congrats.... maybe get a charm bracelet for your milestones or do like me and just keep getting tattoos..... thank you for being a great friend and blessed to be in our journies together......Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan! I was actually thinking about getting some ink, but need to wait for the new job and paychecks. Ha ha You're very welcome, and a huge thank you right back for providing the same for me! I know we each have our journeys, and no 2 are alike, but it's still nice to be traveling them alongside one another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Val!!! You look great, and sound even happier. :) Love and miss you!
    Aunt Emmy

    ReplyDelete