Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Celebration of Life

Today marks 190 days since my surgery! And on day 186 I celebrated with many other WLS patients, as well as the staff from Dr. V's office! The annual Celebration of Life cocktail party for patients took place this last Saturday evening at The Assembly in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. It was a blast for sure! Top Night!

Last year I went w/ John as his date. I remember dreading dress-shopping, and procrastinated as long as possible. I finally found a decent, comfortable dress, but did not feel all that stunning. This year was the complete opposite! I actually didn't need to buy a dress, had the perfect little black dress and contrary to the previous year, felt confident and sexy. I fashioned my hair w/ a small white flower clip, securing some of the hair up on the right side of my face, leaving just a few wisps to frame my face. I couldn't wait to show up sparkling, flirty and dressed in my brand new perspective! My friend, and fellow WLS companion, Dan, was the first person I saw... he smiled and said, "Look at you, ready for the prom!" Having never had the pleasure, or misfortune, of having a high school prom, I felt a sort of inner-pleasure. This was my night. And truly they picked the perfect title for this soiree!

I enjoyed the evening by catching up w/ friends I've made along this journey, quality time w/ my siblings (who came as our "dates"), saving my daily caloric intake for several Dewar's & Diet Cokes (ha ha) and laughing, dancing my ass off w/ the NJLA staff (John's friends from work, who have become like a 2nd family to me)!

In a world where having a college degree doesn't necessarily mean you have a job, and relationships change like daily menu specials, it's nice to feel secure about something. I am ever grateful for the positive turn around in my life, and know that I have made some sincere, wonderful friends (Dan, Alan... Nicole. and several others I'm just now meeting) along the way, and can count on them to be there with me every step of this journey... and beyond!

Here are some pictures from Saturday's event (8/13/2011):
With my wonderful siblings (Sarah & Nick)!

Dan, Alan & Nicole

NJLA Girls (from top-left): Maria, Giselly, Indira, Elizabeth, Me, Stella & Tammy)

The famous, Gaspar, Me, John & Elizabeth

Sistahs

Dan & I (near the end of the evening!)

No comments:

Post a Comment